More than four in ten (42%) Dutch households owned at least one tablet in Q2 2013, up by 10 percent compared to six months earlier. According to the latest report from independent market researcher Telecompaper, this means around 3 million Dutch households have tablets.
The data comes the report ‘Dutch Tablet User Q2 2013’, based on a survey of around 6,600 consumers aged 12-80 during the second quarter of 2013 by the Telecompaper Consumer Panel.
The survey also found that 19 percent of all consumers without a tablet said they would buy a tablet in the next six months. Of the 17 percent who said half a year ago that they would buy a tablet in the next six months, 9 percent actually bought one.
Apple’s iPad is the still the most popular tablet in the Dutch market, but Samsung is gaining market share fast. Consumers who own an Apple, Samsung or Microsoft tablet more often choose the device because of the image of the brand. Yarvik users often chose their tablet because of the price, and Samsung users mention more often the purchase price as a reason why they bought their tablet.
When it comes to using the tablets, the most popular activities are surfing the internet and gaming. On average, tablets are used over nine and a half hours per week. Tablet owners are more often male and have a gross family income higher than non-tablet users. The average age of a tablet user is increasing.
The report Dutch Tablet Users Q2 2013 gives detailed information on the demographics of tablet users, tablet brands, tablet features and usage, mobile data providers and subscriptions, and spending on apps. This report discusses the following aspects:
- Household tablet penetration (one or more tablets per household)
- Purchase intention tablets and brands
- Age and tablet penetration per age
- Gender and education of tablet users vs. non-tablet users
- Gross family income per year, employment level and living situation of tablet users vs. non-tablet users
- Installed base of tablets per brand
- Ownership tablet brands in time
- Reasons why tablet is bought (by brand and in time)
- Paid or no internet subscription
- Awareness of network connection
- Memory storage
- Provider internet access tablet
- Prepaid or postpaid MBB connection
- Who pays the MBB bill for tablet?
- Spending on applications per month (also per brand)
- Top 10 reasons to use tablet (by gender, age and brand)
- Tablet usage per week in household (by gender, age and brand)
- Where tablets are used (by gender, age and brand)
- Private or business tablet usage (by gender, age and brand)